Please visit my sites Queer Music Heritage and OutRadio

Friday, February 5, 2016

Ramblin' Jack Elliott's Gay 45


 

Some of you may have heard of Ramblin' Jack Elliott, who has been a prolific recording artist since the 1950's, winning Grammy Awards in 1995 and 2009. I'll let Wiki go into a lengthy bio, or those with interest can visit his own website.

But how many of you knew in 1979 he had a "gay" song? ...or at least one about gender confusion?


This was actually not a rare theme in country music, as I can easily
point out several songs that used that twist:

Richard Thompson - Woman or a Man (1982)
Michael Doucet - Woman or a Man (1987)
Rodney Carrington - Dancing With A Man (1998)
 

and you can hear all of those and more on a QMH show I did
about homophobia in country music, in April 2005.
 


*******************

Trivia: If you are questioning if "Jack Elliott" is the same artist as
"Ramblin' Jack Elliott," so was I. And I am thinking it is as
I was able to find an image of another 45 on the same label.


  

 

1 comment:

  1. wow nice visit my blog http://roiyan-site.blogspot.co.id/

    ReplyDelete